See Sheikhy Notes academy for madrasa, hijamma/cupping, Sheikhy notes publications and knowledge lessons
Email sheikhynotescharity@gmail.com

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Women's reward in Paradise in Islam


Muslim Women’s reward in paradise


We were asked this question a number of months ago and gave what we thought was a reasonable answer but it has now become clear that more explanation is needed. What was the question? What is the reward of Muslim women in paradise?

Partly due to the inflated responses of some men, we have been compelled to write about this issue and I shall endeavor to clarify any misconceptions. Some men seem to think that it is absolutely fine to boast about the reward that they will get in paradise then put down any females by assuming that their reward is little. They say that they are going to get seventy two virgins and the woman will receive very little reward. A woman who asked us this question almost questioned if there was any reward for women in paradise. This came as a shock to us and we had to start to search to find answers.

Ponder these Quranic passages:
“Men who surrender unto Allah, and women who surrender, and men who believe and women who believe, and men who obey and women who obey, and men who speak the truth and women who speak the truth, and men who persevere (in righteousness) and women who persevere, and men who are humble and women who are humble, and men who give alms and women who give alms, and men who fast and women who fast, and men who guard their modesty and women who guard (their modesty), and men who remember Allah much and women who remember - Allah hath prepared for them forgiveness and a vast reward.” (The Clans 33:35)

“Whoever acts righteously, whether male or female, and is a believer, him verily we shall revive with a goodly life.” (The Bee 16:97)

Gender has no relevance when striving for paradise. Also note that the women here are included in the vast reward. So what could we get in paradise? The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “In paradise there are things that no ear has heard, no eye has seen and no one could contemplate.” (Muslim 2825)

“For men there is a share of what they earned, and for women, a share of what they earned. Pray to Allah for His grace.” (The Women 4.32)

So women like their male counterparts will get their share of what they have strived for in the world and this will not be lost.

“So, whoever does the smallest good act will see it.” (The Earthquake 99:7)


What about in Paradise?

“For them, with their Lord, there is what they wish. That is the reward of those who are good in their deeds.” (The Troops 39:34)

We do not need to emphasize that this is for all the inhabitant of paradise; that they will have whatever they wish for and if they do not want something then it is their choice. It is your paradise and you can choose to have whatever you wish.

It is also narrated that the believing women of paradise are superior to the maidens of paradise by seventy degrees. (Tafsir As-Sharbini Vol 4 p. 181)

Note that in another hadith it states that if one of the maidens of paradise were to spit into the oceans that they would turn sweet. If this is the beauty of the maiden what then would be the beauty of the Muslim woman in paradise?


Hut Full?

They said that they will have a ‘hut of women’ and whatever their wills desire of carnal pleasures. They based their claim on this hadith:

وقال عبد الله بن وهب: أخبرنا عمرو: أن دراجاً أبا السمح حدثه عن أبي الهيثم عن أبي سعيد عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال"أدنى أهل الجنة منزلة الذي له ثمانون ألف خادم، واثنتان وسبعون زوجة، وتنصب له قبة من لؤلؤ وزبرجد وياقوت كما بين الجابية وصنعاء "
 ورواه
الترمذي من حديث عمرو بن الحارث به

Abu Sa’eed narrates that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “The lowest station of the inhabitants of Paradise will attain eighty thousand servants, seventy two spouses and erected for him is a dome of pearls, chrysolite and ruby, similar to the distance between Al-Jabiyyah and San’a.” Narrated Imam At-Tirmidhi with a sound chain – Hassan Gharib.

Whenever I get a question that confuses me I try to look at the original sources and then use this as a base for my answers. Now their claim is that men get this reward and not the women. My first problem is that the hadith says ‘Ahl Al-Janna’ which we have translated as the inhabitants of paradise. Does this not include women? It must and it must also include Jinn. Note the hadith is Hassan Gharib which is a hadith that has a sound chain but has come to us from two chains of narrators. The next problem is the word ‘zawjah’ or spouses, which has been translated as women. We can understand this but if you look towards the rules in Arabic for the use of the number seventy, which precedes it, what follows must be a feminine singular noun. This leads us to say that this hadith includes women and Jinn, for the above reasons, to have multiple partners in paradise.

We can also examine the Quranic chapter the Heffer (2:25) which states, “They have purified partners, in there, and abide therein forever.” Partners (azawaj), as Zaynab Ansari rightly pointed out, is not gender specific.


Final Remarks

I would like to say this issue is somewhat a distraction to the concern that we should have which is what are we doing to make ourselves worthy of attaining it. That is what we shall be concerned with.

It really annoys me when some men deem deen to be a ‘man’ thing and that the women should stay at home. This is one of the reasons why men are no longer what they used to be because we have no women who can teach them the religion! If there are facilities for women then use them and accommodate them because other groups will get them and then where would we be!

So please brothers do not make Muslim women’s life harder by pointing out how many partners you will have and remember that they will have what they wish for as well. Paradise is for everyone and in paradise women will be rightly rewarded for putting up with us men!! Hmm, that reward could be endless if they are anything like me!

I would like to finish this post with this hadith:

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) once said, "Whoever enters Heaven shall find comfort and no distress; his garments shall not grow threadbare, neither shall his youth ever come to an end. In Heaven there shall be that which no eyes has seen, no ear has heard and which has never occured to mortal mind."

(Ibn Al-Mubarak, 512; Al-Bayhaqi, Ba'th from Remembrance of Death translation by Abdul Hakim Murad p.241)

There is no distress, no pain, no sadness in Paradise.
 
Please see our 40 Hadith about Women in Islam which answers many difficult questions about women and hadith. It also contains all the articles we have written about women and Islam
UK customers click here 
USA/Canada customers click here

See my translation of a book about Paradise -What no eye has seen
Click here 

Treatment of Women in Islam

Commentary on 40 hadith about tribulation click here

Commentary on 17 benefits of tribulation click here

Commentary on 40 hadith of Imam Nawawi click here

40 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 pm

    فيها مالا عين رأت ولا أذن سمعت,, ماشاء الله ,بارك الله لك جهدك وجزاك الله كل خير شيخ عرفان

    ReplyDelete
  2. شكرا جزاك الله خير
    ليستُ شيخ بمعنى العِلم بل بمعنى السن

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:01 pm

    Jazak Allah khayran for a truly warming post. May Allah bless u.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asalaamu alaikum Arfan,

    Thanks for writing such a nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. jazak allah khayran brother but could you please quote some hadiths about women getting whatever they want in jannah because i have read so many articles on the net stressing on how men will have multiple partners in jannah but women will have to live only with their husbands. They will not be allowed to have multiple partners simply because a woman is not allowed to be with more than one man at a time.plz brother do reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "They shall have whatever they wish with their Lord." [Qur'an: Surat Zumar, 34]

      In Paradise, if we wish for something, it will be there before us. No one will find anything less than everything they could possibly wish for; this includes women. The only reason women rewards is not mention is because of their modesty.
      Allah says in Surat al-Baqarah verse 25, "But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is Gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruits there-from, they say: "Why, this is what we were fed with before," for they are given things in similitude; and they have therein companions pure (and holy); and they abide therein (for ever)."


      These "companions pure (and holy)" are called azwaj mutahhara in Arabic. Azwaj is the plural of zawj, which means mate, spouse, or companion. The promise in this verse is directed at the believers at large, both males and females, that they will have righteous spouses awaiting them in Paradise. Some scholars have said that if a believer so desires, she or he will be reunited with their spouse from earthly life.

      Delete
    2. the rewards of the women in the Quran is implied because they are more bashful than a man. A man needs it to be spelt out to him and a woman can read between the lines.

      "They shall have whatever they wish with their Lord." [Qur'an: Surat Zumar, 34]

      In Paradise, if we wish for something, it will be there before us. No one will find anything less than everything they could possibly wish for; this includes women.

      It can be a neglected question sometimes there is an emphasis on the reward of men and not on the reward of women. Therefore know, women that God is just and you will not be wronged; your reward is ample and awaiting you.
      Allah says in Surat al-Baqarah verse 25, "But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is Gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruits there-from, they say: "Why, this is what we were fed with before," for they are given things in similitude; and they have therein companions pure (and holy); and they abide therein (for ever)."


      These "companions pure (and holy)" are called azwaj mutahhara in Arabic. Azwaj is the plural of zawj, which means mate, spouse, or companion. The promise in this verse is directed at the believers at large, both males and females, that they will have righteous spouses awaiting them in Paradise. Some scholars have said that if a believer so desires, she or he will be reunited with their spouse from earthly life.

      Delete
    3. Sister, it is clear that spouses will be united in the hereafter but what bothers women is the hadiths/verses where it is mentioned that men will have atleast 2 worldly wives, even if they were married to only 1 woman in this life. That hurts and no matter how much people say u wont be jealous in jannah it is still not fair. I personally do not want to share my husband with any hoor or any other worldly wife in akhira. I do not want gold and silk, fruits of all kinds and wine etc.

      Delete
  6. Is not Quran enough for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is wrong in it if Women want a Clarafication on that?
      Coz the Quran states that Men will have Voluptious Women in Jannah but I am not sure if it said that Women will get Hot and Greek God looking Hunks too!

      Delete
  7. Some people interpret the hoors as translating to almonds or something. That would be awesome, wouldn't it? What do you know about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, that would not be valid as you cannot come to that conclusion using the source Arabic text. Thats as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ^ I think (but I may be wrong!) the almonds (or grapes?) translation comes from a linguistic study of Qur'an which focused on the roots of Arabic and Syriac influences. I'm not 100% though.

    Anyway! Just a quick Q, you said "the rules in Arabic for the use of the number seventy, which precedes it, what follows must be a feminine singular noun." - Singular yes, but feminine?

    Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think women would get 72 virgin handsome men!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amused me the story of those 72 virgins in heaven available to man. If it's Paradise, than it's supposed to be a sinless place , so why torment those men with something they cannot have?. This is not a reward :) Also, if a person ends up in Paradise, it means he's a moral man. I doubt that all of a sudden, in Paradise he'll indulge in sins :) They can have whatever they wish, but they are moral persons, so their wishes would not be sinful.

      Delete
  11. So if a woman was mistreated by men on this earth, and she gets what she wishes for in this life, what do you think she will wish for?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your comment is illogical, please re-phrase your question.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How can i upload it on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well women think like that because that is what they have been told by scholars and men think like that because of the same reason too, in addition ofcourse to society double standartds when it comes to sexuality. Just search the topic and look at the countless articles that basically says the same thing men get tons of "hoors" and women stick to the same old hubby, but no problem you wont be able to feel jealousy. I dont know how is this suppose to make any muslim women strive to be better. Its obvious that usually explanations of scholars/religous men are at the expense of women, after all why should he care when he has 72 perfect females are at his service.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:24 pm

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for that post, I was getting frustrated and was hoping for Allah to show me something that will remove that frustration. And then found this!

    So it basically it means, women will get Hoors too? Or if they wish for more partners they will get them?

    May Allah bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:38 pm

      You will have whatever you wish for, it's that simple. :)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:39 pm

      You will have whatever you wish for, it's that simple.

      Trust Allah S.W.T.

      Delete
  17. Anonymous6:42 pm

    In'sha'Allah! Women will also have whatever they wish for! It's sad that because of certain Jahil men something so easy needs to be spelt out to women.
    No one will be forced against their will in Jannah, that's just absurd. Don't worry ladies, trust in Allah S.W.T!
    Me? I wish to have a perfect spouse created just for me in Jannah. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much!!! I actually fear Jannah over this issue. I swear my duas begged for me to be save from hell and jannah! As a women the fact of my beloved sleeping around snd I would be delusioned into liking it bothered me. That I was still unworthy of being the only one. I honestly would not mind more than one companion, however in heaven, I doubt I will think of that. When I questioned the pain of these hoors. I was basically told to get over it. I battled it crying so much. I gelt I had nothing to strive for. I am a muslim who fears heaven. I know that sounds ridiculous., but that fear was and is real. I suffered anxiety and thought of leaving Islam, as it was making me ill. I had a hard childhood so no one knows my pain but Allah. Somehow I stumbled on this article. It bring relief and I hope in time, I can start to pray to be in Jannah and not just outside. They just don't see the damage they cause. A dress and beauty is not a compromise... now that is insulting. JAK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much!!! I actually fear Jannah over this issue. I swear my duas begged for me to be save from hell and jannah! As a women the fact of my beloved sleeping around snd I would be delusioned into liking it bothered me. That I was still unworthy of being the only one. I honestly would not mind more than one companion, however in heaven, I doubt I will think of that. When I questioned the pain of these hoors. I was basically told to get over it. I battled it crying so much. I gelt I had nothing to strive for. I am a muslim who fears heaven. I know that sounds ridiculous., but that fear was and is real. I suffered anxiety and thought of leaving Islam, as it was making me ill. I had a hard childhood so no one knows my pain but Allah. Somehow I stumbled on this article. It bring relief and I hope in time, I can start to pray to be in Jannah and not just outside. They just don't see the damage they cause. A dress and beauty is not a compromise... now that is insulting. JAK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much!!! I actually fear Jannah over this issue. I swear my duas begged for me to be save from hell and jannah! As a women the fact of my beloved sleeping around snd I would be delusioned into liking it bothered me. That I was still unworthy of being the only one. I honestly would not mind more than one companion, however in heaven, I doubt I will think of that. When I questioned the pain of these hoors. I was basically told to get over it. I battled it crying so much. I gelt I had nothing to strive for. I am a muslim who fears heaven. I know that sounds ridiculous., but that fear was and is real. I suffered anxiety and thought of leaving Islam, as it was making me ill. I had a hard childhood so no one knows my pain but Allah. Somehow I stumbled on this article. It bring relief and I hope in time, I can start to pray to be in Jannah and not just outside. They just don't see the damage they cause. A dress and beauty is not a compromise... now that is insulting. JAK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. i just don't believe in the many partners part only if our concept will be mankind to mean we will become one ,mainly because woman was made from part of a man so it could be just mankind

      Delete
    3. You just spoke my mind. I have been going through the same problem for quite some times and it's still there. I'm badly struggling with my faith and hopes here. Don't know how long I will be able to take it. The thought of sharing my beloved for eternity(no matter how desperately I want that or no matter how hurt I get my feelings doesn't count,even in paradise because I'm a women!) is so frustrating! I really don't want anything else as long as I get this but every fatwas I have come across so far say, I won't even wish it in paradise jealousy will be removed from my heart(so basically they are saying that the women's very capability of having their desires will be taken away just to match the males wish!) I desperately want their interpretation to be false(but they say they base these interpretation on authentic hadiths) but only Allah (S.W.T) knows what is the real truth. Please pray for me so that I find a little hope and also pray that Allah(S.W.T) grants our hearts desire of having a perfect spouse only for ourselves(who we won't have to share with anyone else) just like he will grant the males hearts desire of having multiple women at the same time. Because no matter how contradicting our wishes may be nothing is impossible for Allah(S.W.T)

      Delete
  21. There is no sadness in paradise for anyone, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, well. I guess I was silly to seek answers online. I thought about checking out an actual mosque, but seriously I had nightmares last night after a simple anonymous posting... To let someone actually see my face with these questions. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok, now this is odd... Did you get any of my previous comments?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, I was at a give up point, but now I am going to consider the possibility that you somehow didn't get my questions, so I will try one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear brothers and sisters Assalam O Alaikum

    I believed that Allah will do justice to everyone and these type of questions were not there in the past and such a questions are created by anti Islam people who want to distribute us and want to make group between us, so please don't support these anti Islam people and try your best to make Allah and his Rasool Allah (sallaho alaihy wassallum) happy. i guarantee you Allah will made Happy you on that day
    JazakaAllah

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Quran clearly states that every man or woman who perform their duties well in this world will be rewarded with whatever they demand for in the paradise. There should be no more explanation needed to that phrase. You can learn islam and all about its values from the Holy book of Quran

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think that we as Muslims should learn Islam first from the Quran and Islamic history, so as not to take things out of context. It seems that so many muslims just listen to what some old guy with a beard tells us and just accepts this as fact. In fact, a lot of--probably all of--these gender inequality issues come from old cultural "norms". Women and men are equal in the site of Allah! And Allah does not love the oppressors!! So how can a muslim man think that its ok to oppress a woman in any way at any time? But most people cant seem to separate their culture from Islam.

    What Im getting at is that most of--if not all of--the worlds oldest cultures are VERY patriarchal by nature. Islam came to shatter that, but for whatever reason, men throughout the ages men see fit to put women down. Making broad statements like they are inferior, or weak or whatever reason they can pull out. Why? Because they think that they need to justify the perception that in Islam, women are inferior to men in one way or another. But again, these very same "scholars" cant even separate their culture from the religion given to us by Allah.

    To those who say...no, women dont get companions etc etc, then show me IN the Quran where Allah says this. Im not interested in some hadith that came 200+ years after the fact--especially if it is not backed up clearly and unequivicably by Allah in the Quran, and contradicts the Quran in the slightest. Same goes for anything else.

    Also, I believe that this 72 virgin thing was made up by some old guy somewhere along the way. Where exactly do they get these numbers? People are always pulling some randomn number out, but who thinks and questions the rationale and reasoning?

    I am a muslim man, and I dont believe in letting some old guy spell out my religion for me when I have just as much access to the Quran, the sunnah and the history of Islam, to be able to draw my own conclusions. In the end, Islam is not about rulings and fiq and this sharia and that sharia. Islam is all about "There is no God but God, and Muhammad is His messenger" which leads you to treating people kindly and with justice and NOT trying to force your will on them, and NOT OPPRESSING them.

    So do women get husbands in parafise? I havent seen any compelling argument that suggest otherwise, but in the end, Allah knows best. The purpose of these descriptions--which are just small glimpses for us--is not for us to dwell on any one thing, but to realize that there os something better for those who believe. Dont let these little detail make you forget the big picture.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been crying almost every single day for the past year. My depression has gotten really bad and I've been having more suicidal thoughts because I felt so worthless, like all I existed for was to bring pleasure to a man. I've been reading through the comments and it's sad to see how many women are going through and have gone through this same struggle. My greatest hope was to be with my soul mate in Jan ah. If I can have this and be close to Allah, I'll have all my heart desires. I was losing faith because I felt Allah had taken this person away from me and zi was so scared of marriage because zi though I couldn't make a mistake or else I'll have no chance of being with my soulmate. I want to be be with the pair Allah created my soul to be with, thats not a bad thing. It doesn't make me an evil woman and I have to remember that. I'm in therapy now so I hope to be able to be happier and keep striving in my religion. I'm going to keep trying because Allah guides whom he will and while I haven't spoke to Allah properly in months, maybe this Ramadan is the time I do. Maybe I'll ask again.

    To any woman looking at this comment, know that when Allah says you are not the first nor the only one to bear with your struggle, there are others. Other women who do understand you and thankfully, there are men too who get this. Just know your not alone and I'll make dua this Ramadan for you to get through this struggle.

    Thank you to the writers of this article, you bring hope to those who have lost most of it. May Allah shower you with reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May Allah turn your difficulties into ease.

      Please see these other books that might help you.

      What no eye has seen - about paradise
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293038468335?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

      Commentary of 17 benefits of tribulation
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1713337789

      Commentary on 40 hadith of tribulation
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1673739881
      If I can help please use the blogger contact form.

      Delete
  29. Makam muslim Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete