Sunday, January 03, 2010

Women's reward in Paradise in Islam


Muslim Women’s reward in paradise




We were asked this question a number of months ago and we gave what we thought was a reasonable answer but it has now become clear that more explanation is needed. What was the question? What is the reward of Muslim women in paradise?

Partly due to the inflated responses of some men, we have been compelled to write about this issue and I shall endeavour to clarify any misconceptions. Some men seem to think that it is absolutely fine to boast about the reward that they will get in paradise then put down any females by assuming that there reward is little. They say that they are going to get seventy two virgins and the woman will receive very little reward. A woman who asked us this question almost questioned if there was any reward for women in paradise. This came as a shock to us and we had to start to search to find answers.

Ponder these Quranic passages:
“Men who surrender unto Allah, and women who surrender, and men who believe and women who believe, and men who obey and women who obey, and men who speak the truth and women who speak the truth, and men who persevere (in righteousness) and women who persevere, and men who are humble and women who are humble, and men who give alms and women who give alms, and men who fast and women who fast, and men who guard their modesty and women who guard (their modesty), and men who remember Allah much and women who remember - Allah hath prepared for them forgiveness and a vast reward.” (The Clans 33:35)

“Whoever acts righteously, whether male or female, and is a believer, him verily we shall revive with a goodly life.” (The Bee 16:97)

Gender has no relevance when striving for paradise. Also note that the women here are included in the vast reward. So what could we get in paradise? The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “In paradise there are things that no ear has heard, no eye has seen and no one could contemplate.” (Muslim 2825)

“For men there is a share of what they earned, and for women, a share of what they earned. Pray to Allah for His grace.” (The Women 4.32)

So women like their male counterparts will get their share of what they have strived for in the world and this will not be lost.

“So, whoever does the smallest good act will see it.” (The Earthquake 99:7)


What about in Paradise?

“For them, with their Lord, there is what they wish. That is the reward of those who are good in their deeds.” (The Troops 39:34)

We do not need to emphasise that this is for all the inhabitant of paradise; that they will have whatever they wish for and if they do not want something then it is their choice. It is your paradise and you can choose to have whatever you wish.
It is also narrated that the believing women of paradise are superior to the maidens of paradise by seventy degrees. (Tafsir As-Sharbini Vol 4 p. 181)

Note that in another hadith it states that if one of the maidens of paradise were to spit into the oceans that they would turn sweet. If this is the beauty of the maiden what then would be the beauty of the Muslim woman in paradise?


Hut Full?

They said that they will have a ‘hut of women’ and whatever their wills desire of carnal pleasures. They based their claim on this hadith:

وقال عبد الله بن وهب: أخبرنا عمرو: أن دراجاً أبا السمح حدثه عن أبي الهيثم عن أبي سعيد عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال"أدنى أهل الجنة منزلة الذي له ثمانون ألف خادم، واثنتان وسبعون زوجة، وتنصب له قبة من لؤلؤ وزبرجد وياقوت كما بين الجابية وصنعاء " ورواه
الترمذي من حديث عمرو بن الحارث به

Abu Sa’eed narrates that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “The lowest station of the inhabitants of Paradise will attain eighty thousand servants, seventy two spouses and erected for him is a dome of pearls, chrysolite and ruby, similar to the distance between Al-Jabiyyah and San’a.” Narrated Imam At-Tirmidhi with a sound chain – Hassan Gharib.

Whenever I get a question that confuses me I try to look at the original sources and then use this as a base for my answers. Now their claim is that men get this reward and not the women. My first problem is that the hadith says ‘Ahl Al-Janna’ which we have translated as the inhabitants of paradise. Does this not include women? It must and it must also include Jinn. Note the hadith is Hassan Gharib which is a hadith that has a sound chain but has come to us from two chains of narrators. The next problem is the word ‘zawjah’ or spouses, which has been translated as women. We can understand this but if you look towards the rules in Arabic for the use of the number seventy, which precedes it, what follows must be a feminine singular noun. This leads us to say that this hadith includes women and Jinn, for the above reasons, to have multiple partners in paradise.

We can also examine the Quranic chapter the Heffer (2:25) which states, “They have purified partners, in there, and abide therein forever.” Partners (azawaj), as Zaynab Ansari rightly pointed out, is not gender specific.


Final Remarks

I would like to say this issue is somewhat a distraction to the concern that we should have which is what are we doing to make ourselves worthy of attaining it. That is what we shall be concerned with.

It really annoys me when some men deem deen to be a ‘man’ thing and that the women should stay at home. This is one of the reasons why men are no longer what they used to be because we have no women who can teach them the religion! If there are facilities for women then use them and accommodate them because other groups will get them and then where would we be!

So please brothers do not make Muslim women’s life harder by pointing out how many partners you will have and remember that they will have what they wish for as well. Paradise is for everyone and in paradise women will be righty rewarded for putting up with us men!! Hmm, that reward could be endless if they are anything like me maybe that is why I am not married!!

I would like to finish this post with this hadith:

Abu Hurayra narrated that the Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) once said, "Whoever enters Heaven shall find comfort and no distress; his garments shall not grow threadbare, neither shall his youth ever come to an end. In Heaven there shall be that which no eyes has seen, no ear has heard and which has never occured to mortal mind."

(Ibn Al-Mubarak, 512; Al-Bayhaqi, Ba'th from Remembrance of Death translation by Abdul Hakim Murad p.241)

There is no distress, no pain, no sadness in Paradise.


Treatment of Women in Islam
http://sheikhynotes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/treatment-of-women.html

General view of Paradise/Jannah
http://isinsoc.org/pages/books/NoEye.aspx

27 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 pm

    فيها مالا عين رأت ولا أذن سمعت,, ماشاء الله ,بارك الله لك جهدك وجزاك الله كل خير شيخ عرفان

    ReplyDelete
  2. شكرا جزاك الله خير
    ليستُ شيخ بمعنى العِلم بل بمعنى السن

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:01 pm

    Jazak Allah khayran for a truly warming post. May Allah bless u.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asalaamu alaikum Arfan,

    Thanks for writing such a nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. jazak allah khayran brother but could you please quote some hadiths about women getting whatever they want in jannah because i have read so many articles on the net stressing on how men will have multiple partners in jannah but women will have to live only with their husbands. They will not be allowed to have multiple partners simply because a woman is not allowed to be with more than one man at a time.plz brother do reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "They shall have whatever they wish with their Lord." [Qur'an: Surat Zumar, 34]

      In Paradise, if we wish for something, it will be there before us. No one will find anything less than everything they could possibly wish for; this includes women. The only reason women rewards is not mention is because of their modesty.
      Allah says in Surat al-Baqarah verse 25, "But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is Gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruits there-from, they say: "Why, this is what we were fed with before," for they are given things in similitude; and they have therein companions pure (and holy); and they abide therein (for ever)."


      These "companions pure (and holy)" are called azwaj mutahhara in Arabic. Azwaj is the plural of zawj, which means mate, spouse, or companion. The promise in this verse is directed at the believers at large, both males and females, that they will have righteous spouses awaiting them in Paradise. Some scholars have said that if a believer so desires, she or he will be reunited with their spouse from earthly life.

      Delete
    2. the rewards of the women in the Quran is implied because they are more bashful than a man. A man needs it to be spelt out to him and a woman can read between the lines.

      "They shall have whatever they wish with their Lord." [Qur'an: Surat Zumar, 34]

      In Paradise, if we wish for something, it will be there before us. No one will find anything less than everything they could possibly wish for; this includes women.

      It can be a neglected question sometimes there is an emphasis on the reward of men and not on the reward of women. Therefore know, women that God is just and you will not be wronged; your reward is ample and awaiting you.
      Allah says in Surat al-Baqarah verse 25, "But give glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion is Gardens, beneath which rivers flow. Every time they are fed with fruits there-from, they say: "Why, this is what we were fed with before," for they are given things in similitude; and they have therein companions pure (and holy); and they abide therein (for ever)."


      These "companions pure (and holy)" are called azwaj mutahhara in Arabic. Azwaj is the plural of zawj, which means mate, spouse, or companion. The promise in this verse is directed at the believers at large, both males and females, that they will have righteous spouses awaiting them in Paradise. Some scholars have said that if a believer so desires, she or he will be reunited with their spouse from earthly life.

      Delete
  6. Is not Quran enough for you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people interpret the hoors as translating to almonds or something. That would be awesome, wouldn't it? What do you know about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, that would not be valid as you cannot come to that conclusion using the source Arabic text. Thats as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ^ I think (but I may be wrong!) the almonds (or grapes?) translation comes from a linguistic study of Qur'an which focused on the roots of Arabic and Syriac influences. I'm not 100% though.

    Anyway! Just a quick Q, you said "the rules in Arabic for the use of the number seventy, which precedes it, what follows must be a feminine singular noun." - Singular yes, but feminine?

    Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think women would get 72 virgin handsome men!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amused me the story of those 72 virgins in heaven available to man. If it's Paradise, than it's supposed to be a sinless place , so why torment those men with something they cannot have?. This is not a reward :) Also, if a person ends up in Paradise, it means he's a moral man. I doubt that all of a sudden, in Paradise he'll indulge in sins :) They can have whatever they wish, but they are moral persons, so their wishes would not be sinful.

      Delete
  11. So if a woman was mistreated by men on this earth, and she gets what she wishes for in this life, what do you think she will wish for?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your comment is illogical, please re-phrase your question.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How can i upload it on facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well women think like that because that is what they have been told by scholars and men think like that because of the same reason too, in addition ofcourse to society double standartds when it comes to sexuality. Just search the topic and look at the countless articles that basically says the same thing men get tons of "hoors" and women stick to the same old hubby, but no problem you wont be able to feel jealousy. I dont know how is this suppose to make any muslim women strive to be better. Its obvious that usually explanations of scholars/religous men are at the expense of women, after all why should he care when he has 72 perfect females are at his service.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for that post, I was getting frustrated and was hoping for Allah to show me something that will remove that frustration. And then found this!

    So it basically it means, women will get Hoors too? Or if they wish for more partners they will get them?

    May Allah bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have whatever you wish for, it's that simple. :)

      Delete
    2. You will have whatever you wish for, it's that simple.

      Trust Allah S.W.T.

      Delete
  17. In'sha'Allah! Women will also have whatever they wish for! It's sad that because of certain Jahil men something so easy needs to be spelt out to women.
    No one will be forced against their will in Jannah, that's just absurd. Don't worry ladies, trust in Allah S.W.T!
    Me? I wish to have a perfect spouse created just for me in Jannah. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much!!! I actually fear Jannah over this issue. I swear my duas begged for me to be save from hell and jannah! As a women the fact of my beloved sleeping around snd I would be delusioned into liking it bothered me. That I was still unworthy of being the only one. I honestly would not mind more than one companion, however in heaven, I doubt I will think of that. When I questioned the pain of these hoors. I was basically told to get over it. I battled it crying so much. I gelt I had nothing to strive for. I am a muslim who fears heaven. I know that sounds ridiculous., but that fear was and is real. I suffered anxiety and thought of leaving Islam, as it was making me ill. I had a hard childhood so no one knows my pain but Allah. Somehow I stumbled on this article. It bring relief and I hope in time, I can start to pray to be in Jannah and not just outside. They just don't see the damage they cause. A dress and beauty is not a compromise... now that is insulting. JAK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much!!! I actually fear Jannah over this issue. I swear my duas begged for me to be save from hell and jannah! As a women the fact of my beloved sleeping around snd I would be delusioned into liking it bothered me. That I was still unworthy of being the only one. I honestly would not mind more than one companion, however in heaven, I doubt I will think of that. When I questioned the pain of these hoors. I was basically told to get over it. I battled it crying so much. I gelt I had nothing to strive for. I am a muslim who fears heaven. I know that sounds ridiculous., but that fear was and is real. I suffered anxiety and thought of leaving Islam, as it was making me ill. I had a hard childhood so no one knows my pain but Allah. Somehow I stumbled on this article. It bring relief and I hope in time, I can start to pray to be in Jannah and not just outside. They just don't see the damage they cause. A dress and beauty is not a compromise... now that is insulting. JAK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much!!! I actually fear Jannah over this issue. I swear my duas begged for me to be save from hell and jannah! As a women the fact of my beloved sleeping around snd I would be delusioned into liking it bothered me. That I was still unworthy of being the only one. I honestly would not mind more than one companion, however in heaven, I doubt I will think of that. When I questioned the pain of these hoors. I was basically told to get over it. I battled it crying so much. I gelt I had nothing to strive for. I am a muslim who fears heaven. I know that sounds ridiculous., but that fear was and is real. I suffered anxiety and thought of leaving Islam, as it was making me ill. I had a hard childhood so no one knows my pain but Allah. Somehow I stumbled on this article. It bring relief and I hope in time, I can start to pray to be in Jannah and not just outside. They just don't see the damage they cause. A dress and beauty is not a compromise... now that is insulting. JAK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  21. There is no sadness in paradise for anyone, ever.

    ReplyDelete