Sunday, March 09, 2014
Friday, March 07, 2014
This seems like a strange post but its inspiration came from something that one of my teachers said. He said that Muslim who has characteristics like disbelievers are closer to disbelief than belief.
I started to wonder how what the attributes of a disbeliever were in an effort to avoid them and inform anyone who would listen. The Quran is the main source for this information.
As ever the stories that are in the Quran about the disbelievers are varied but there are some common traits that they all have. The stories are not in there for jest they are there to make you ponder over the magnitude of rejecting belief which is by rejecting a prophet. When the tribes did that (reject their prophet) punishment followed swiftly and it meant destruction. In some cases all traces of their existence was wiped off the Earth. Almost as if they were not there in the first place.
Here we want to list all the things we found in the Quran and point out those character traits that made these peoples the wretched of the earth.
Dislike of advice
How many a prophet came to these people but they rejected them after a time and rejected the sincere advice of those calling for monotheism.
فتولى عنهم وقال يا قوم لقد أبلغتكم رسالة ربي ونصحت لكم ولكن لا تحبون الناصحين
[الأعراف : 79]
"He turned to them and said, "O people I have informed you of the message of my Lord and given you sincere advice but you you do not like those who give advice."
The Prophet Salih (upon him peace) was encouraging his people to believe but they refused his sincere advice. This is one of the worst attributes of any person when they refuse to listen to advice. Especially when it comes to elders as many of them have good advice. Its not going to kill you to listen but it does also work both ways as many elders do not listen. So if you hate it when people give you advice then know that you one of the worst characteristics. We need to love the giving of advice if we are true believers.
Despair of the mercy of Allah
“Certainly, no one despairs of Allah’s mercy except the people who disbelieve.” Yusuf 12: 87
As they have no hope in anything because they are here and the world is there be and end all.
“Hatred has already appeared from their mouths but what their breasts conceal is far worse.” (Aal-Imran 4: 118)
Here they contain hatred for the believers and it’s hidden; we have to be careful living in their lands.
“They recognise the Grace of Allah, yet they deny it and most of them are disbelievers.” (An-Nahl: 83
This is one of the worst things about a disbeliever especially in wealthy countries. They benefit from so much wealth and many worldly blessings but are ungrateful to the gift giver. It’s like the guest is rude and fails to acknowledge the host. How will the host feel?
فَاذْكُرُونِي أَذْكُرْكُمْ وَاشْكُرُواْ لِي وَلاَ تَكْفُرُونِ
“Remember me I’ll remember you; be grateful and do not reject.” Al-Baqarah 2:154.
Here takfurron does not disbelief it means rejecting blessings; as transmitted by Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him). So the other attributes of a disbeliever is that they are ungrateful to God for all the blessings they have.
Limitation of the world
“They know only the outside appearance of the life of the world (i.e. the matters of their livelihood, or irrigating, or reaping, or sowing, etc.) And they are heedless of the hereafter.” Ar-Room: 7
They believe that the world is it and reject everything else. They have science as their idol and they worship it by seeking answers from it.
الدُّنيَا سِجنُ المُؤمِنِ وَ جَنَّة الكَافِرِ
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “The world is the prison of the believer and the paradise of the disbeliever.”
(Tirmidhi and Muslim)
You see the disbeliever in their paradise now because they have no rules and do what they like. Yet the believer is limited for a short time and then in paradise he can do what he wants forever.
“…But most of them behave ignorantly” (Al-An’aam: 111).
Arrogance is the sin that was perpetrated by satan over Adam (upon him peace). When the command came down to prostrate satan stubbornly refused.
“Except Iblis (Satan): he was proud and was one of the disbelievers.” Sa'ad 38: 74.
His rejection made his one of those rejected forever.
Eating too much
The Prophet (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him) said, “The disbeliever eats too much but the Muslim is satisfied with little food in order to be able to worship. He preserves a third of his stomach for his food, a third for his drink and a third for his breath. A believer’s food is blessed.” He also said, “The food of two persons suffices three and the food of three suffices four.” (Al-Bukhari)
Why do disbelievers eat so much? Because they have no blessings in their food! Why would you have blessings in your food when you reject the host?
“Those who are miserly and enjoin miserliness on other men and hide what Allah has bestowed upon them of His bounties.” 4:37
When there is no understand of benefit or necessity, then there is little need of giving. So dependent on the disbeliever’s upbringing and nature they may or may not give charity. Being miserly is a characteristic that those who are wretched have.
“And when it is said to them, “Spend (to the needy) from the provision Allah has given to you”, the disbelievers say to the believers, “Shall we feed those whom Allah could have fed, if Allah so willed? You are plainly erroneous.” Yasin 36:47.
This, perhaps, gives more clarity to the previous quote; at the miserly nature of the disbeliever. Though it has to be said that many disbelievers give great amounts of charity to the poor but because of their disbelief are not given benefit of it like a Muslim would.
Not give zakah?
“Those who give not the Zakah and they are disbelievers in the Hereafter.” Fussilat 41:7
Even though disbelievers are under no obligation to pay Zakah this is warning for Muslims.
“Have you noted those who argue against the proofs of Allah, and how they have deviated?” Quran 40:69.
“We have cited in this Quran every kind of example, but the human being is the most argumentative creature.” Quran 18:54.
A Muslim who argues is displaying his ignorance in religious matters. He has no knowledge and thinks that everyone thinks like him. So he argues with everyone and loves to put people down. The disbeliever argues about Allah and there is a slight difference here. So they are both arguing about religious matters but they are in different parts of the same field. The disbeliever argues about his disbelief and he rejects any reason for submission to anything.
Repel others from path of Allah
“Those who disbelieve spend their money to repel others from the way of Allah. They will spend it, and then it will turn into sorrow and remorse for them. Ultimately, they will be defeated, and all disbelievers will be summoned to Hell.” Quran 8:36.
They spend money to help support systems that cause Muslims problems. Many Muslim countries have allowed missionaries into their countries and because of this the locals have many problems. Millions if not billions are spent pushing ideas of disbelief into all homes thanks to the television and the internet.
This also has a bearing on those who stop lessons of sacred knowledge take place in masjids. They are ignorant and do not see the need for knowledge thus condemning others to the same fate. Any Muslim with a hate for spreading knowledge is not a true Muslim to say the least! As the worst may be feared for such people as the spread of knowledge keeps Islam alive.
"O you who believe! Obey Allah and His Messenger, turn not away from him - the Messenger Muhammad, while you are hearing. And be not like those who say: We have heard but they hear not. Verily! The worst of moving living creatures in the sight of Allah are the deaf and the dumb, those who understand not - the disbelievers. Had Allah known of any good in them, He would indeed have made them listen, even if He had made them listen, they would but have turned away, averse to the truth.” Al-Anfal 8:20-4.
This shows that the disbelievers were called to faith but did not respond but instead preferred to be how they were.
Muslims should not put their trust in them
“Those who disbelieved are allies of one another. Unless you keep these commandments, there will be chaos on earth, and terrible corruption.” Quran 8.73
The fall of Muslim Spain was partly down to regional kings paying tributes to other Christian kings to protect them from other Muslims! This made the coffers of the Christians swell and they slowly took back the land from the Muslims.
“Even if we sent down to them a physical book, written on paper, and they touched it with their hands, those who disbelieved would have said, "This is no more than clever magic."” Quran 6:7
We have seen some deranged Christan groups burn the Quran. Of course they cannot do such a thing they are merely burning the translation. Yet the punishment they will receive will be brutal.
Punishment of rejection
“Allah seals their minds and their hearing, and their eyes are veiled. They have incurred severe retribution.” Quran 2:7
Their hearts are sealed as a punishment for continually rejecting the message.
Do not prostrate
“When the Quran is read to them they do not prostrate.” 84:21
They do not prostrate and they do not prayer. So this leads to arrogance and a Muslim has to prayer and he has no choice in his five daily prayers.
Do not repent
“See them not that they are tested once or twice in every year? Still they turn not in repentance, neither pay they heed.” 9:126
They do not repent and even after there are sent tribulation; it does not move them. They are constant in their state. They see no need in repentance because they are too haughty to repent. A Muslim repents because his heart does not feel tranquil without it but a disbeliever’s heart is not like that.
Do not honour orphans
“You do not honour orphans.” Fajr 89:17
Orphans are children without parents or guardians and they need lots of care. Harming those who are weak is the high of ignorance and oppression.
Souls pulled out violently
“By those (angels) who pull out (the souls of the disbelievers and the wicked) with great violence.” –Naziat 79:1
When the soul of disbeliever is pulled out it is done with great violence and unbelievable pain. May Allah (the Exalted) save us from such torment.
Do not let their riches deceive you
“So let not their riches nor their children please you (O Muhammad). Allah thereby intended but to punish them in the life of the world and that their souls shall pass away while they are disbelievers.” Quran 9:55
Do not think that Allah (the Exalted) loves those he gives worldly things to. If you loved someone would you give them what is transitory or would you give them something permanent? Answer is you would give them something permanent and what’s that? Paradise. So the riches of a believer are nothing but a tribulation that he will pay dearly for.
Surah Kafiroon (109)
Is one of the most interesting surah’s because of its first line, “O you disbeliever,” here Allah using a grammatical term to draw the disbelievers attention to what is being said. In that belief is incumbent upon them to save them from an everlasting torment.
The characteristics are dangerous to have and if a Muslim has them he is in great danger of causing himself great harm. As the essence of a disbeliever is denial of his Creator. So if you are Muslim and have these characteristics then fight them until you remove them from yourself. We hope this has been beneficial for those who have read it.
If you would like to find out the characteristics of a believer then please read the following work by Dhu Noon Al-Misri (may Allah show him mercy) and may Allah protect us from all wretched characteristics. Ameen.
Thursday, March 06, 2014
It is a much needed text for the Western world because it elucidates on one of the most taught collections of hadith. Imam Al-Nawawi was one of the great masters of hadith, in Islamic History, and he compiled the most famous collection of forty hadith, known as Al-Arba’een. Each hadith is like a pillar of Islamic practice.
Please see click here
Wednesday, March 05, 2014
Sunday, March 02, 2014
Friday, February 28, 2014
Thursday, February 27, 2014
Part thirty two
1. Some people are tried by having something and others are tried by not having it...
2. People cannot be depressed with kids around.
3. Why are you wearing yourself out for whats not decreed yet? Chill out, be happy with what you have and be proactive for things you wanted changed but not despondent when they do not.
4. Dua is essentially about the generosity of the giver
5. All the storms of your lives will eventually pass...
6. Was pondering why our sense of smell is heightened when fasting. Its a preservation mechanism to tell us to eat. How wondrous the subtle blessings that Allah has given us.
7. If you are not doing anything extra then you are not benefiting from Ramadan
8. Want to be near the Prophet (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him) on the day of judgement? Sponsor an orphan and you'll be next to him, in sha Allah
9. Sheikh Al-Akbar Ibn Arabi said, " Do not compare the Ahl Al-Bayt to any creation, As the Ahl Al-Bayt are the people of mastery, to destest them is the real loss of mankind and to love them is an act of worship."
10. What was Sheikh Al-Arabi Al-Darqawi's (may Allah show him mercy) way of getting what he wanted? He would turn away from it and find it before him.
11. Was pondering why our sense of smell is heightened when fasting. Its a preservation mechanism to tell us to eat. How wondrous the subtle blessings that Allah has given us.
12. Some of the four Imam disagreed with each others in matters of fiqh but none disagreed with Abu Hanifa in aquida
13. One of the awilyah said words to the effect that the spirits of the four caliphs are in the four madhabs. Abu Bakr in Hanafi, Umar in Maliki, Uthman in Hanbali and Ali in Shafi (may Allah show them all mercy and be pleased with them)
14. On the internet you can be anyone you want, quote anyone you want and pretend to be whatever you make others think. But Allah (the Exalted) knows what you are so who are you fooling?
15. There's no drugs in the masjid but there's plenty of crack! Cover your backs up Brothers! Goodness me!
16. Those scholars who say we should speak Urdu only should not be allowed to preach in the UK. It should be mandatory for each masjid to have at least one speaker in English and do not come to me complaining that the youth are not interested in Islam. Of course they are not because you speak a language they do not understand!
17. Want to be near the Prophet (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him) on the day of judgement? Sponsor an orphan and you'll be next to him, in sha Allah
18. A sound heart rejects hate. so when deen is taught with hate it rejects it and the deen. So be careful what you teach.
19. Sidi Ali Al-Jamal (may Allah be pleased with him) one of the masters of the Shadhali path. Said that he never thought about the Prophet (may Allah bestow peace and blessings upon him) except he would see Him before him with his companions and take knowledge directly from him.
20. Sidi Abu Madyan (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "Your life is but one breath so be keen that it be for you not against you."
21. If you truly love Allah then you cannot be saddened by anything that happens at all. As its all the action of the beloved and all His actions are beloved.